Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

Your financial aid application information will be sent to Financial Aid and Scholarships electronically. It will take 2-3 business days for us to receive your FAFSA and 5-7 business days for the DREAM Act Application. Your application will be processed if:

  • You are offered admission to UCLA.
  • You listed UCLA school code 001315 on your application for financial aid.
  • For FAFSA filers, you provided your correct Social Security Number on your application for admission and your FAFSA.
  • For Dream Act Application filers, the name (last, first and middle) and date of birth on your application for admission matches the name and date of birth on your Dream Act application.

Provisional Award Letter Notification (PAL)

Provisional Award Letters will be available in March for admitted freshmen and in April for admitted transfer students. Your student will be able to access their PAL on MyUCLA after they are notified that they have been admitted to UCLA. This notification will provide your student with an estimate of UCLA costs and the various sources of assistance that Financial Aid and Scholarships can offer to help them with their educational expenses.

Financial Aid Notification

Once your student submits their Statement of Intent to Register and accepts their offer of admission to UCLA, their application will be reviewed by Financial Aid and Scholarships and a Financial Aid Notification (FAN) will be made available to your student on MyUCLA. We may request additional information from your student before we can finalize their offer. Requests for additional information and/or supporting documentation will be made via MyUCLA. Financial Aid and Scholarships typically starts releasing financial aid notifications in late May for students enrolled in summer sessions and in July for the academic year.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am expecting to receive outside scholarships. How will these affect my financial aid?

Because your award meets 100% of your cost of attendance, the receipt of aid from outside sources will require an adjustment to your financial aid package. In order for these awards to help a student as much as possible, it is our policy to replace student’s need based loans and work-study first. If the amount of outside aid exceeds the amount of loan and work in your award, grants are then reduced.

How do I report outside assistance?

When you receive your financial aid notification, you will be asked to report the source and the amount of your outside awards. You can also send us a letter, fax or an e-mail to let us know how much you are receiving in outside support and the source of those awards. Once your award is revised, we will generate a new financial aid notification (FAN) and make it available for your review on MyUCLA.

Will my financial aid package cover my non-resident fees?

If the Registrar classifies you as an out of state student, we will offer assistance to cover your out of state tuition. This support will include Federal Parent PLUS and/or Private Loans. Please be advised that University Grants and Scholarships will not cover your non-resident fees.

If I am a non-resident student, can I appeal to be assessed California resident tuition?

You must be a California resident to be assessed in-state tuition. At UCLA, Registrar’s Office determines students’ residence status.

My family’s financial circumstances have changed since we applied for aid. Can UCLA take these changes into consideration?

Yes; if your or your parent(s) financial situation has changed after you applied, or at any time during the academic year, you can submit a letter of appeal to Financial Aid and Scholarships. You can find more information on appeals on this page.

If I am receiving financial aid, will my housing be covered automatically?

Your financial aid offer will include assistance for housing. However, financial aid disbursements released at the start of each quarter will not pay for your UCLA housing automatically. You will need to wait until you receive your financial aid refund and use it to cover your housing. UCLA Housing Services has a payment plan designed for financial aid recipients that will allow you to defer making your housing payments until financial aid refunds are released. For information about installment plans offered by UCLA Housing, go to

If I am receiving financial aid, do I need to pay tuition when I receive my bill?

If your financial aid disbursements are enough to cover the full cost of your tuition and fees, you will not need to make a payment. Financial aid will be disbursed before the start date of each quarter and fee payment deadlines are extended for financial aid recipients. You can find additional information under Disbursements/Bills/Refunds

Does UCLA have an installment payment plan for tuition and housing?

UCLA Bruin Pay Plan (BPP) allows you to pay your tuition in 3 monthly payments throughout each quarter. This is a great option for students who are not receiving full financial aid to cover their fees. If you are eligible for BPP, information will be presented to you on MyUCLA.

For information about installment plans offered by UCLA Housing, go to