Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

Work-Study is a need-based form of Financial Aid that you earn through on-campus or off-campus employment. You will receive payment in the form of a paycheck. The Work-Study Program encourages part-time employment to reduce loan debt while attending UCLA.

The Work-Study Program pays for a portion of your salary. This makes it easier for an employer to hire you. Any money earned doing work-study does NOT count against your aid eligibility for the next academic year. Remember that when filling out future FAFSA or California DREAM Act applications.

Work Study Programs

Federal Work-Study is the main program awarded and used during the academic year. This program can encompass almost all positions on campus. Awards range from $1000-$3000.

This program is offered to Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) eligible DREAM Act students during the summer and academic year. Awards vary from $500 to $5000.

The UCLA Center for Community Learning is the home of Jumpstart. Jumpstart is an AmeriCorps Program that promotes literacy for local preschoolers. UCLA undergraduates from any major can apply for this one-year program to work with local kids. Participation in this program allows you to petition for an increase in work-study up to $5500. Please note: an increase in work-study may decrease students loans.

UCLA BruinCorps is a community service learning program of UCLA Student Affairs that consists of two programs: Tutoring and the VISTA Project. Each has the goal of providing equal access to educational opportunities for under-resourced communities in LA County. BruinCorps members are committed to serving the needs of the community, most significantly the youth. Students hired under this program are eligible to petition for an increase in work study up to $5000. Please note: an increase in work study may decrease students loans.

These are all positions on campus or at approved off-campus locations that benefit the community at large. Students who are hired in these positions are eligible to petition for an increase in work-study up to $5500. Please note: an increase in work study may decrease students loans.

Who is eligible?

Students who are eligible for this program will have a Work-Study award on their award letter. The award is only valid for the specified FAN (Financial Aid Notification) period and cannot be rolled over. All awarding is dependent on funding availability from the UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships office. These are the requirements:

  • Must submit a FAFSA or Dream Application on time (deadline is March 2).
  • Demonstrate financial need and have an SAI (Student Aid Index) of $12,000 or less if California resident.
  • Must be enrolled at least half-time (Undergraduates: 6 units, Graduates: 4 units).

Where can I find Work-Study jobs?

Current approved work-study job positions are listed on the UCLA Work-Study Job Bulletin posted on MyUCLA. This website is updated daily and provides you with contact information for each job posting to email or call the employer.

  • Login to MyUCLA
  • Select Finances and Jobs.
  • Select Work-Study Job Search.

Once you find a job that interests you, select "View" to find more information about the position. To apply, you can email the interviewer and attach your resume, cover letter, and work-study award (FAN).

You can find work-study job opportunities at ASUCLA and UCLA Handshake.

For help with your resume and interview preparation, check out the following resources offered by the UCLA Career Center:

How do I become officially placed in the program?

Once you have accepted a position, you must complete the hiring process. This consists of completing the hiring paperwork and submitting the online referral form. Whether you are working on or off-campus, your EMPLOYER MUST SUBMIT your REFERRAL FORM on our website. This must be completed by the hiring deadline specified for the award period.


  • The employer must complete and submit your referral form on the Work-Study Website every summer and academic year that you are awarded work-study.
  • Position Pool

Off-Campus (includes ASUCLA):

  • Once you accept the work-study award, you can send us a message on Message Center to request a hiring appointment.
  • During the hiring appointment, you will present your hiring documents (view acceptable i-9 forms). Be prepared with any questions you may have about the hiring process, timesheets, or work-study in general.
  • Once all hiring paperwork is complete and approved by UC Path, Financial Aid and Scholarships will e-mail you and your employer indicating when you can begin working. We will give your Off-Campus employer access to the online referral form to complete and submit.

How do I get paid?

You are paid bi-weekly, based on the dates specified for each pay period. Your time records must be submitted on time (by the due date specified on TRS). If you are hired under ASUCLA, you do not submit your time record via the TRS system. This is done automatically by ASUCLA.

General Information:

  • You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • You can only be in one work-study job at a time.
  • You must be paid at least the minimum wage. Wage must be within reason to the position and other employees in a similar position.
  • Summer work-study is available if you are enrolled at least half-time and submit the summer application on time.

Non-Work Study Job Resources

The UCLA Career Center offers services and event sign-ups exclusively for UCLA students to find non-work-study positions.

Other resources include:
UCLA Handshake
Housing & Hospitality Services
Fleet & Transit Services

Work-Study Guides and Publications