Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

After you submit your FAFSA or CA DREAM ACT APPLICATION, you may be asked to submit more documents. This process is verification and 20% of students get selected, so you are not alone!
Check your MyUCLA portal to see the status of any document requests. Please do NOT submit additional documents unless we ask.

Here are answers and video explanations to the most common questions students and families have about verification.

What is the verification process?

Each year, the federal (FAFSA) or state (DREAM Act) application processor selects students for verification. You may be selected to verify by UCLA even if not selected by the federal or state processor.

When are students selected for verification?

For most students, verification happens before aid is disbursed. Some students are selected for verification during the academic year. This happens if their financial aid application information changes. If you are selected for verification mid-year then we will let you know. You must get verified before we can give you any more funds.

What do I do when my UCLA Student Aid Report (SAR) says I am selected for verification?

Please wait for UCLA to evaluate your application first. Then we will tell you what you need to complete your verification. We will provide you with the appropriate forms and request any additional steps required.

How do I get my Tax Return Transcript?

A Tax Return Transcript is not the same as your 1040. It is an official copy of your tax return information that comes from the IRS.

There are three ways to order a free copy of your Tax Return Transcript from the IRS.

Online at

  1. Available on the IRS website at
  2. Under the Tools section, select “Get a Tax Transcript”.
  3. Click “Get Transcript Online.”
  4. Returning Users: Enter your Username and click “Log in” and proceed to Step 9.
  5. FIRST TIME USERS: click “Get Started”. You will need to confirm your identity and credit history information. YOU MUST HAVE ACCESS TO A MOBILE PHONE. Click “YES” to all three to confirm. **If you don’t have all three, then request your Tax Return Transcript By Phone or Mail (see below for instruction).
  6. Enter your first name, last name, and email address. Click on “Send Email Confirmation Code”.
  7. Retrieve and enter confirmation code. Click on “Verify Email Confirmation Code”.
  8. Enter your identifying info and your address EXACTLY as listed on your latest tax return filed. OR enter the most recent address registered with the United States Postal Service. Click “Continue”.
  9. If your information matches, select the reason for your request: “Higher Education/Student Aid”.
  10. Select Tax Return Transcript for the year we are requesting.
  11. Print, sign, include your UCLA ID number, and submit to our office.

By Phone at: (800) 908-9946

  1. Give your Social Security Number.
  2. Enter the address number of your most recent tax return, then Press "2".
  3. Enter the tax year requested and Press 1. You will receive your transcript within 5-10 days.

By Mail using the IRS Form 4506-T:

  1. Print and complete lines 1-4.
  2. Enter tax form number on line 6, and Select box 6a.
  3. Include the tax year requested.
  4. Mail the form to the IRS. See page 2 of Form 4506-T for instructions.

What is a W-2 Form, how do I get mine?

A W-2 Form is an official tax document. It is the summary of your salary and/or wages for the Calendar Year (January 1 through December 31). Employers must send W-2 Forms to their employees by end of January. You can get a copy of your W-2 Form for a prior year directly from your employer(s). If you worked at UCLA or within the UC system you can print your W-2 Forms online at:

What if I cannot get my W-2?

If you tried, but cannot get your W-2 (or an equivalent document) in time, then give a signed statement including ALL the following items:

  1. The amount of income earned from work.
  2. The sources of that income.
  3. Explain WHY the IRS Form W-2 (or an equivalent document) is not available.

How do I know if I’m required to file taxes?

Check out PUBLICATION 501 on the IRS website ( to see if you are required to a file a Federal Tax Return. For more answers contact a Tax Preparer, or the IRS at (800) 829-1040.

What if I did not file taxes?

Some Independent Students or Parents of Dependent Students did not file taxes and must verify. In this case, complete an “IRS Verification of Non-Filing Letter” online or by mail.

Online Request:

  1. Go to
  2. Under the Tools section, select "Get a Tax Transcript"
  3. Click “Get Transcript Online” and follow instructions to register and request your Verification of Non-Filing Letter.

NOTE: You must give a credit card number, an account number for your car loan, mortgage loan, OR an equity line of credit account. If you are unable to register, please submit your request by mail.

Request by Mail:

  1. Print IRS Form 4506-T
  2. Check the box on Line 7.
  3. Include the tax year requested.
  4. Use "Chart for all other transcripts" (on page 2) to find the address/fax where you need to submit your Form 4506-T.

NOTE: Do NOT send the Verification of Non-Filing Letter to UCLA Financial Aid Office. SEND THE LETTER TO YOURSELF, AND THEN SEND IT TO US. You must put your UCLA ID NUMBER ON THE FORM. Keep a copy of the letter for your records.

How do I verify if I do NOT have a Social Security Number?

If you do not have a Social Security Number, Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, OR an Employer Identification Number, the IRS cannot give you the Non-filing Form. Instead, send our office a signed and dated statement certifying that you do not have a SSN, ITI, or EIN. The letter must include a listing of ALL your earnings (and income) and where they came from for the tax year.

How long does it take for my verification to be reviewed?

Once we get all your documents, we will ensure your file is complete. Then it will be processed by a counselor. This usually takes 2-4 WEEKS, but longer during May-September because we are busier.
**PLEASE DON’T MISS THE DEADLINE. This is the best way to ensure you get your aid in time. Find information about the priority deadline at: Contact Us Webpage.

What happens if I submit my verification after the priority deadline?

If you are late, we will try our best to process your documents. But if we cannot complete the review before the start of the term, then you will have to wait. You may have to pay your fees for the term on your own. Then you can be reimbursed once you get verified.

What if I filed a foreign tax return?

If you filed a foreign tax return, you must send a SIGNED AND TRANSLATED COPY of your or your parent’s Foreign Tax Return. You must CONVERT CURRENCY AMOUNTS TO US DOLLARS. We recommend that all students use the following currency conversion website:

What if I amended my tax return after I filed?

If you amended your tax return after filing, please provide:


These videos explain how and why students are selected for verification, and provide instructions on how to obtain a copy of your tax return transcript.

Please note that even though the videos below refer to FAFSA, the verification process is very similar for FAFSA and DREAM Act application filers.

What is Verification?

What happens when a student is selected for Verification?

How do I get a copy of my tax transcript for Verification?

IRS Get Transcript by Mail Tutorial