Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

Grants are gift aid from federal, state, or university sources. They are awarded to students based on need, and they DO NOT NEED TO BE REPAID. You must complete the FAFSA or DREAM ACT application to be considered for grant awards. Grants require enrollment in 12 UNITS to maintain maximum eligibility.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Based on exceptional need, the Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens, and who have not earned a Bachelor’s degree. If you file the FAFSA then you are considered for a Pell Grant. For 2023-24, full-time awards start at $767 with a maximum award of $7,395.The Federal Pell Grant is NOT available to CA DREAM applicants.

FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant)

Federally funded awards for Undergraduates who are citizens or eligible non-citizens and apply on time. SEOG is NOT AVAILABLE TO CA DREAM applicants. Awards are based on financial need and range from $100 to $4,000. Preference is given to Pell Grant and Cal Grant recipients.

TEACH Grants

The TEACH Grant program is a non-need-based grant program that gives up to $4,000/year to FULL-TIME STUDENTS. TEACH Grants are ONLY available to citizens and permanent residents. Reduced eligibility is calculated for less than full-time enrollment in an eligible program (see ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below).

**STUDENTS MUST AGREE TO TEACH low-income elementary or secondary school for 4 YEARS. You must complete this within 8 years of finishing the program paid by the TEACH Grant. Students must teach in a high-need field as highly qualified teachers. You must sign a service agreement to this effect every year. You must complete all required counseling prior to receiving TEACH Grant. You must have a 3.25 GPA for each quarter to maintain eligibility.
**If you do NOT meet the requirements of the service agreement, TEACH Grant will be treated as a Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Then you must repay the TEACH funds, with interest accrued from the date of disbursement.

Eligibility Criteria: Undergraduate seniors who are enrolled in UCLA California Teach Program whose enrollment includes at least two of the following:
Completed registration for CSET (California Subject Examinations for Teachers)… (MISSING OTHER ENROLLMENT INFO).


The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant gives money to undergraduate students for educational expenses. The maximum award of the IASG is equal to the maximum Federal Pell Grant that is available for the award year (adjusted for enrollment status). The federal government has established a lifetime limit of no more than 12 semesters (or its equivalent) for eligible students.


  • You complete a FAFSA and are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution.
  • Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant Eligibility requirements.
  • Your parent or guardian was a member of the US armed forces and died during military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan (AFTER 9/11).
  • You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent or guardian’s death.

Available to undergraduate students who lost a parent because of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001. Student does not meet the Federal Pell grant Expected Family Contribution but must meet all other Federal Pell Grant requirements. Further, the student must be either UNDER 24 years of age, OR ENROLLED in college AT TIME OF PARENT’S DEATH. The amount is the approved maximum Federal Pell Grant annually and cannot exceed cost of attendance.

More information about the Iraq and Afghanistan Service grant at the Federal Student Aid site.

UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarship will use the Department of Defense (DOD) database to identify and award eligible students.


If you are eligible for a Pell-eligible AND your parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer, then you can get the MAXIMUM PELL GRANT for the year.

To qualify, you must be Pell-eligible, and have a Pell-eligible EFC (Expected Family Contribution). You must also be less than 24 years of age) OR enrolled at an institution of higher education) at the time of your parent or guardian’s death.

You will still be eligible for subsequent years if you have a Pell-eligible EFC.

Call us at (310) 206-0400 if this may apply to you. Or contact via message center.


  • To confirm eligibility for this scholarship, please give one of these documents to the Financial Aid:
  • A determination letter stating your eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the Department of Justice;
  • A written letter of attestation or determination made by a state or local government official with supervisory (or other relevant oversight authority) of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
  • Documentation of the student qualifying for a state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety officer consistent with the definition in 42 U.S.C. 3796b, or as a fire police officer as noted above; OR
  • Other documentation from a credible source that describes or reports the circumstances of the death and the occupation of the parent or guardian.

State Grants


Cal Grant A is money from grant funds to help pay tuition/fees. You must be a California resident at qualifying institutions with undergraduate academic programs. Awards are based on need and grade point average established by the California Student Aid Commission. If you qualify for a Cal Grant A, and you choose to attend a California Community College first, you can RESERVE your award for up to TWO YEARS until you transfer to a 4-Year college.

You must meet the California Student Aid Commission's Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be eligible for a Cal Grant.


Cal Grant B is money from grant funds for students from low-income families. The awards are to be used to help pay tuition, fees, and access costs. The Cal Grant B award during the FIRST YEAR of college is for access costs only ($1,648), including expenses for transportation, supplies, and books. Beginning with the second year of the Cal Grant B grant, the award covers tuition and fees. Note: Cal Grant A and B Entitlement awards are for High School graduates under the age of 28 by December 31 of the award year. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 for A and 2.0 for B.

You must meet the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be eligible for Cal Grant.


Cal Grant A and B Competitive awards are similar to the entitlement awards, except they are not guaranteed. Each year only a limited number of new awards are available to those students who did not receive an entitlement award. The awards are for students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 that are from low-income and disadvantaged families. Cal Grant A and B recipients who plan to enroll in a teaching credential program may have their funding extended an additional year for a teaching credential program. NOTE: You should APPLY AS EARLY as possible after receiving your bachelor’s degree by completing the Request for Teaching Credential Program (G-44 form) available at
You must meet the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be eligible for Cal Grant.


Middle-Class Scholarship (MCS) provides undergraduate students with a scholarship to attend a University of California (UC) campus. Students with family income and assets up to $217,000 may be eligible. Income and asset ceilings are different for independent students. Please refer to Middle Class Scholarship - California Student Aid Commission for additional information.

Students must meet the following requirements:

  • be a California resident
  • be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or a DREAM Act applicant who meets the requirements for AB540 non-resident tuition exemption
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • must not be in default on a student loan

You may receive the MCS award for up to 4 years if admitted as a freshman and 2 years if admitted as a transfer. The scholarship award amounts will vary by student. Award amounts will be based on:

  • Financial aid cost of attendance minus other available gift aid that the student is eligible for (including all grants, institutional or private scholarships, fee waivers, and basic needs grants)
  • minus a self-help student contribution of $7,898 (applied to all students)
  • minus 33% of parent contribution for dependent students with a household income of over $100,000.

Under the above formula, award amounts will vary widely among students, with each student’s award reflecting their net costs and available resources. CSAC will adjust MCS awards for changes in cost of attendance, changes in any gift aid support or waiver received, and enrollment less than full time (12 units).

For additional information about MCS please take a look at CSAC’s website.

California Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant for current or former California FOSTER YOUTH helps pay for college OR career and technical training. Eligible students may use the Chafee Grant to pay for child care, rent, and transportation while in school. Students may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for a maximum of 5 years (whether or not consecutive).

You must be a current or former foster youth, and not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established the student dependency when they were between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant UNLESS court dependence was established between the ages of 16 and 18.) The California Department of Social Services will verify the student foster youth eligibility status.

Steps to apply:

  1. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application (CADAA).
  2. Submit a Chafee Application. Once you submit a Chafee application, you can renew your eligibility by submitting a FAFSA/CA Dream Act Application each academic year you plan on attending school.

For more information about the Chafee Grant, please visit the Chafee Homepage.

Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG)

The Golden State Teacher Grant Program (GSTG) awards up to $20,000 to students currently enrolled in a professional preparation program approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) and working towards earning their preliminary teaching or pupil personnel services credential.

Student eligibility requirements:

To be eligible for the Golden State Teacher Grant, a student must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Be currently enrolled in a California-based professional preparation program approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).
  • Be working toward a preliminary teaching or pupil personnel services credential.
  • Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA® Application | Federal Student Aid) or CA Dream Act Application (CA Dream Act Application).
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • Complete their program and obtain their credential within 6 years from the first disbursement of GSTG funds.
  • Commit to work at either a priority school or a California preschool program in California for 4 years within 8 years of completing their program.

What are the steps to apply?

  1. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application (CADAA).
  2. Apply for a Golden State Teacher Grant.

All applicants who meet the program eligibility criteria requirements will be sent a Letter of Acceptance and a Service Agreement. A Service Agreement must be electronically signed before funds are disbursed to the student.

For More Information, contact the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) Golden State Teacher Grant Program At:

Service Agreement Update

The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) recently announced a new flexibility for Golden State Teacher Grant (GSTG) student recipients, “Integrated/Blended” programs. Any time worked prior to completing their program (both credential and degree portions) and obtaining their credential is not counted towards the 4-year service requirement. However, with this new flexibility, a GSTG recipient who has completed the credential portion of their integrated/blended program and earned their preliminary teaching or pupil personnel services credential but has not graduated/completed their UCLA degree program may qualify to begin earning service credit so long as no additional GSTG funds are paid. The following are examples of this new flexibility:

  1. A student received the maximum award amount of $20,000 in GSTG funds in a previous academic year, earned their credential, is now working at an eligible priority school, and plans to graduate from their degree program in the next year(s). The work performed at their priority school may qualify for earning service credit.
  2. GSTG recipients who received less than $20,000 and earned their credential must choose to either:
    • Begin earning service credit while completing their degree program but cannot receive additional GSTG funds.
    • OR receive their remaining GSTG eligibility funds but cannot earn service credit until after they graduate from their UCLA degree program.

Please contact the UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships office and the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) via for further information and questions.

Dream Student Incentive Grant

The California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program (DSIG) encourages California Dream Act Applicant (CADAA) Students with a Cal Grant A award that met Cal Grant B eligibility or a Cal Grant B award to perform community or volunteer service. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $4,500 per academic year (up to $2,250 per semester or up to $1,500 per quarter) to 1,667 eligible students. The grant will be available to the student for up to 8 semesters or up to 12 quarters while they have an active Cal Grant A or B award. Students must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and complete any necessary verification for their Cal Grant award.

Eligible students must apply annually, attend a qualifying institution, have sufficient unmet financial need, and complete community or volunteer service hours in that academic year. Students shall perform at least 150 hours per semester or 100 hours per quarter of community or volunteer service. Students can volunteer with any of the organization(s) on the List of Service Organizations or with any organization not on the list if it meets the criteria for a qualifying service organization.

For more information on how to apply and Service organizations, contact the CALIFORNIA STUDENT AID COMMISSION (CSAC) Dream Act Service Incentive Program at:

University Grants


Awarded to on-time undergraduate applicants who are citizens, permanent residents or undocumented AB540 eligible students. You must demonstrate financial need, be a resident of California, have family INCOME BELOW $80,000, and be in your first 4 years of undergraduate study (first two for transfer students). Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan will cover the difference between your tuition and service fees, and any other grants and scholarships that you are eligible to receive.


University Grants are one-year, non-renewable grants awarded to undergraduate students who complete their FAFSA before the priority filing deadline. These awards recognize and assist students with financial need.

USHIP (Health Insurance Fees)

USHIP Grant is awarded to applicants who filed the FAFSA/Dream Act Application by the March 2 priority deadline. This grant is used to cover USHIP (Health Insurance Fees). Awards will cover the full or partial cost of USHIP depending on your financial need.

Native American Opportunity Plan (NAOP)

UC’s Native American Opportunity Plan (NAOP) ensures that in-state system-wide Tuition and Student Services Fees are fully covered for California students who are also enrolled in federally recognized Native American, American Indian, and Alaska Native tribes.

For additional information please visit the UC Admissions website here


Needy undergraduate students who have dependent children under the age of 18 will be awarded additional grant funds to supplement their financial aid resources. Awarding priority is given to low income students with dependents. Financial Aid and Scholarships office will request copies of your child’s birth certificate to verify your eligibility.