Frequently Asked Questions


Appeals/Refunds/Maintaining Eligibility Questions

What can I do if my parents are unable to meet the parent contribution?

Parental contribution is not an actual amount that your parents have to pay. It is an approximation of how much your parents should reasonably be able to contribute towards your educational expenses over the course of the academic year. UCLA automatically converts your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) into a federal loan to ensure you are awarded up to the Cost of Attendance (COA). 

If your parents are unable to help with your educational costs because of a change in their earnings, you can submit an appeal. For additional information, please see 'Appeals' information on our website.

I am expecting to receive outside assistance (scholarships, fellowships, loans, etc.) How will these affect my financial aid?

Because UCLA meets 100% of your cost to attend, the receipt of aid from outside sources does make an adjustment to your aid necessary. In order that these awards can help a student as much as possible, it is our policy to replace a student's self-help (loan and work awards) first. If the amount of outside aid received exceeds the amount of loan and work in your package, grants are then reduced.

Any delay in reporting this information to the Financial Aid and Scholarships office may result in you receiving financial aid in excess of your eligibility, which will necessitate that you be billed for funds already received.

My family's circumstances have changed dramatically since we filed the FAFSA (or DREAM application). Can UCLA take these changes into consideration?

If your or your parents' financial situation changes after you file the FAFSA or DREAM application, or at any time during the academic year, you may submit a letter explaining your special circumstances along with supporting documentation to the Financial Aid and Scholarships office. The following special circumstances can be considered as the basis for reevaluation:

  • Loss of Employment
  • Legal separation or divorce
  • Death of parent/spouse
  • Medical costs not covered by insurance
  • Cost of special education made necessary by a learning/physical disability of parents' dependents
  • Cost of repair of damages caused by natural disasters (incurred during the current year and not covered by insurance)

For the appeal form, please go to Forms and Publications and select the specific academic year.

If I am receiving financial aid, do I need to pay fees when I receive my BruinBill Statement?

If your financial aid is enough to cover the full cost of your tuition/fees, you do not need to make a payment. Your fees will be paid automatically when your aid is applied to your BruinBill account. Housing charges will not be covered automatically by financial aid. You will need to wait until you receive your refund to pay for housing.

What happens to the financial aid that is left over after my fees are paid?

You will receive a refund for any funds in excess of outstanding charges on your BruinBill account. If you have signed up for BruinDirect, your refund will be electronically deposited in the account of your choice by the first day of the term. If not, the Student Financial Services will mail your refund check to your mailing address.

How do I maintain my eligibility for aid?

In order to maintain your eligibility for aid you must adhere to the quarterly unit requirements. Financial Aid and Scholarships office checks your units on the census date on Friday of the third week of classes. Enrollment below half-time on that date will result in cancellation of your aid and billing for funds disbursed. Some undergraduate awards (Federal Pell Grant, Cal Grant, University Grants) require enrollment in 12 units to maintain your eligibility. Enrollment below 12 units on the census date will result in reduction of those awards. 

NOTE: Once aid is reduced/canceled it will not be reinstated automatically. If your unit count increases after the census date you must contact Financial Aid and Scholarships office to reinstate your CAL Grant and University Grants (your request may not be completed until we can verify completed units for the term). Federal Pell Grant will not be reinstated if your unit count increases after the census date.

In addition to meeting the quarterly unit requirements you are also required to meet cumulative Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards in order to maintain your eligibility for aid. To find out more about SAP, take a look at the Satisfactory Academic Progress Guide.

What is the amount of Registration fees and other campus fees?

For any information regarding fees, please go to the Registrar’s website. You can also see your fees for the term on BruinBill when they are assessed by the Registrar. The Registrar typically assesses fees 4 to 6 weeks before the term starts.

    FATV provides quick video answers to common financial aid questions. Click on the image below to go to the full video library.