Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships


Cal Grants for New Students

Frequently asked questions are currently loading...

Cal Grant For Current Students

Renewing Your Cal Grant (A, B)

Near the end of each school year, a Cal Grant Renewal letter, which indicates either your eligibility to renew your award or announces the end of your eligibility, is sent to you. To continue to receive you’re Cal Grant:

  • You must have financial need,
  • You must have filed a current year FAFSA, listing your school of attendance,
  • You must be attending a participating Cal Grant school,
  • You must have remaining Cal Grant eligibility, and CSAC must have received either a request for payment for all terms or a leave of absence (LOA) request for the prior year.

How do I renew my Cal Grant?

You’ll just need to submit the FAFSA or DREAM application. It is not necessary for students who have a Cal Grant (paid or on reserve) to submit another GPA Verification form for the following year.

How can I track my Cal Grant?

You can track the status of your Cal Grant online by using WebGrants for Students; Log on to set up your personal, confidential account. UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships office will determine whether you’re still eligible to receive your Cal Grant based on your financial need, so be sure to include your school on your FAFSA or DREAM application.

When will I receive my Cal Grant funds?

Your Cal Grant funds will first go to your school. Your school will confirm your eligibility and release any funds due to you. The funds will be disbursed to BAR, approximately 10 days prior to the beginning of the term. You must be enrolled at least ½ time (6 unit’s undergraduates) in order for financial aid to be released.

How do I get a leave of absence (LOA) from the Cal Grant program?

If you’re not enrolled at least half time for any term, you must request a leave of absence from the Cal Grant program. A leave of absence may be requested by calling toll free 888-CA-GRANT (888-224-7268) or going to WebGrants for Students.

Can I accept Cal Grant A in my first year and switch to Cal Grant B in my second year?

No, once funds are disbursed, you cannot switch your Cal Grant program.

Can I use my Cal Grant for Summer School?

Summer Cal Grant payment amounts are based on the regular school year grant and your financial aid. A note of interest; your summer tuition/fee charges will reduce your total program eligibility; if you take the summer payment option, you might not have enough remaining eligibility to assist you during your fourth year (assuming you entered the program as a freshman with four years eligibility).

Can I request Cal Grant for fifth year benefits?

No, UCLA has no mandatory five-year programs for undergraduates.

A mandatory five-year program is an undergraduate program which requires all participants to complete more than four years of undergraduate study to obtain their degree.

Can I use my Cal Grant if I’m planning to attend a teacher credential program?

If you have Cal Grant A or B and plan to enroll in a teacher credential program, you may be eligible to renew your Cal Grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teacher credential and cannot be used for other graduate level courses of study. To qualify, you must be enrolled in a professional teaching preparation program at a school approved by California Commission on Teacher Credentialing within 15 months of the end of the term for which you last received a Cal Grant payment. Renewal recipients who have received a bachelor’s degree should:

  • Enroll in a teacher preparation program at an institution approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing within 15 months of last receiving Cal Grant payments.
  • Submit a Request for Cal Grant Teaching Credential Program (TCP) Benefits Form (G-44)
  • File a FAFSA so your school will be able to determine your grant renewal eligibility.
  • The school verifies you are enrolled at least half-time in an approved teaching credential program.

What is the Chafee Grant for foster youth?

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant. You don’t have to pay this money back. It can be used to help pay for educational purposes. To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status. For more information please visit CSAC's Chafee websit e.

  • Up to $5,000 a year for college.
  • Requires the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Application.
  • Must stay in school to keep your Chafee Grant.
  • Remember to establish your independent status on the FAFSA.