Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

The Financial Aid and Scholarships office will award financial aid to applicants for whom an official need analysis has been performed. Utilizing both need-based and non-need based funding sources, financial aid packages are provided to assist families in meeting the costs associated with attending UCLA. Financial aid packages consist of one or more of the follow types of aid:


Grants are gift aid from federal, state, or university sources. They are awarded to students based on need, and they do not need to be repaid. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or CA Dream Act Application to be considered for grant awards. Grants require enrollment in 12 units to maintain maximum eligibility.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant

Based on exceptional need, the Federal Pell Grant is awarded to undergraduate students who are US citizens or eligible non-citizens, and who have not earned a Bachelor’s degree. Students who file the FAFSA are automatically considered for a Pell Grant. For 2021-22, full time awards start at $650 with a maximum award of $6,495. The Federal Pell Grant is not available to CA DREAM applicants.


Federally funded awards for undergraduates who are citizens or eligible non-citizens and apply on time. SEOG is not available to CA DREAM applicants. Awards are based on financial need, and range from $100 to $4,000. Preference is given to Pell Grant and Cal Grant recipients.

Teach Grants

The TEACH Grant program is a non-need based grant program that provides up to $4,000* per year to students who are enrolled full time. TEACH Grants are available to citizens and permanent residents only. Reduced eligibility is calculated for less than full time enrollment in an eligible program (see ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below). Students must agree to teach in a high-need field, at low-income elementary or secondary school as a highly qualified teacher for at least four years within eight years of completing the program for which TEACH Grant was awarded. The student must sign a service agreement to this effect annually, and complete all required counseling prior to receiving TEACH Grant. 3.25 GPA is required each quarter to establish and maintain eligibility.

If the student subsequently fails to meet the requirements of the service agreement, TEACH Grant will be treated as a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, and the student must repay the TEACH funds, with interest accrued from the date of disbursement.

Eligibility Criteria: Undergraduate seniors who are enrolled in UCLA California Teach Program whose enrollment includes at least two of the following:

  • Completed registration for CSET

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant provides money to undergraduate students to help pay for their educational expenses and has special eligibility criteria. The maximum award of the IASG is equal to the maximum Federal Pell Grant that is available for the award year, adjusted for enrollment status. The federal government has established a lifetime limit of no more than 12 semesters (or its equivalent) for eligible students.


-You complete a FAFSA and are not eligible for a Federal Pell Grant on the basis of your Expected Family Contribution

-Meet the remaining Federal Pell Grant Eligibility requirements

-Your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military serve performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11

-You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

Available to undergraduate students who has lost a parent because of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept. 11, 2001. Student does not meet the Federal Pell grant Expected Family Contribution but must meet all other Federal Pell Grant requirements. Further, the student must be either under 24 years of age or enrolled in college at time of parents’ death. The amount is the approved maximum Federal Pell Grant annually and cannot exceed cost of attendance.

For more information regarding the Iraq and Afghanistan Service grant, please visit the Federal Student Aid site .

UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarship will use the Department of Defense (DOD) database to identify and award eligible students.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Under this scholarship, beginning with the 2018-2019 award year, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.

To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible EFC, and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death.

In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.

Please contact UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships at (310) 206-0400 or via Message Center if you think you may be eligible.


Provide to the Financial Aid Office one of the documents below to confirm eligibility for this scholarship:

  • -A determination letter acknowledging eligibility for certain federal benefits under the Public Safety Officers Benefit (PSOB) program administered by the Department of Justice;
  • -A written letter of attestation or determination made by a state or local government official with supervisory or other relevant oversight authority of an individual who died in the line of duty while serving as a public safety officer as defined above;
  • -Documentation of the student qualifying for a state tuition or other state benefit accorded to the children or other family members of a public safety officer consistent with the definition in 42 U.S.C. 3796b, or as a fire police officer as noted above; or
  • -Other documentation from a credible source that describes or reports the circumstances of the death and the occupation of the parent or guardian.

State Grants

Cal Grant A

Cal Grant A provides grant funds to help pay tuition/fees for California residents at qualifying institutions offering undergraduate academic programs. Awards are based on need and grade point average established by the California Student Aid Commission. If you qualify for a Cal Grant A and you choose to attend a California Community College first, you can reserve your award for up to two years until you transfer to a 4 year college.

Students must meet the California Student Aid Commission's Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be eligible for a Cal Grant.

Cal Grant B

Cal Grant B provides grant funds for students from low-income families. The awards are to be used to help pay tuition, fees and access costs. The Cal Grant B award during the first year is for access costs only ($1,672), including expenses for transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year of the Cal Grant B grant, the award also covers tuition and fees. Note: Cal Grant A and B Entitlement awards are for High School graduates under the age of 28 by December 31 of the award year with a minimum GPA of 3.0 for A and 2.0 for B.

Students must meet the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be considered eligible for Cal Grant.

Cal Grant A & B Competitive

Cal Grant A and B Competitive awards are similar to the entitlement awards, except they are not guaranteed. Each year only a limited number of new awards are available to those students who did not receive an entitlement award. The awards are for students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 that are from low income and disadvantaged families. Cal Grant A and B recipients who plan to enroll in a teaching credential program may have their funding extended an additional year for a teaching credential program. Recipients should apply as early as possible after receiving their bachelor’s degree by completing the Request for Teaching Credential Program (G-44 form) available at .

Students must meet the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) Income and Asset Ceilings requirements to be considered eligible for Cal Grant.

California Middle Class Scholarship

The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) program applies to undergraduate students who are California residents or AB540 eligible and whose family income and assets does not exceed $191,000. Students must complete a FAFSA or DREAM Application for consideration. Eligibility for MCS is determined after federal, state and university grant funds are awarded by UCLA. The MCS is not need based and eligible students who do not demonstrate financial need and receive no other grant assistance may qualify. Read more from the California Student Aid Commission.

California Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant for current or former California foster youth to help pay for college or career and technical training. Students may also use the Chaffee Grant to pay for child care, rent and transportation while they are in school. Students may qualify for up to $5,000 a year.

To qualify, students must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached their 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established the student dependency when they were between the ages of 16 and 18. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependence was established, at anytime, between the ages of 16 and 18). The California Department of Social Services will verify the student foster youth eligibility status.

For more information about the Chaffee Grant, please visit the Chaffee Homepage .

University Grants

Blue & Gold Opportunity Plan

Awarded to on-time undergraduate applicants who are citizens, permanent residents or undocumented AB540 eligible students. Students must demonstrate financial need, be residents of California, have family income below $80,000 and be in their first 4 years of undergraduate study (first two for transfer students). Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan will cover the difference between student’s tuition and service fees and any other grants and scholarships that the student is eligible to receive.

University Grant

University Grants are one-year, non-renewable grants awarded to undergraduate students who complete their FAFSA before the priority filing deadline. These awards recognize and assist students with financial need.


USHIP Grant is awarded to applicants who filed the FAFSA/Dream Act Application by the March 2 priority deadline. This grant is used to cover USHIP (Health Insurance Fees). Awards will cover the full or partial cost of USHIP depending on the students financial need.

Grant for Parenting Students

Needy undergraduate students who have dependent children under the age of 18 will be awarded additional grant funds to supplement their financial aid resources. This award provides $2,000 in additional grant funding for the academic year. Awarding priority is given to low income students with dependents. Financial Aid and Scholarships office will request copies of your child’s birth certificate to verify your eligibility.


Scholarships are merit-based, need-based, and non-need based monetary awards that may range from paying a portion of your tuition to fully funding the costs associated with your college education. Scholarships do not need to be repaid. Additional information about scholarships offered by UCLA and private agencies can be located under Scholarships.


Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally funded program for students who demonstrate financial need. Work-Study funds are limited and offered to eligible students based on financial need and on-time application status.

Additional information about Work-Study can be located under Work-Study and Jobs.


Loans are a type of financial assistance that enable students and parents to borrow money from the federal government, state government, or private lenders. It is important for students and parents to be well informed of the terms and conditions of loans prior to borrowing.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

Direct Subsidized Loans are federally guaranteed loans based on financial need. This loan is offered to undergraduate students only. Interest does not accrue on the loan while the student is enrolled at least half-time. Students are not required to start making payments on this loan until six (6) months after they graduate or drop below half time.

For more information, including current interest rates, please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Direct Unsubsidized Loans are federal guaranteed loans that all students, regardless of need, are eligible to receive. Interest begins accruing after the first disbursement. Students are not required to start making payments on this loan until six (6) months after they graduate or drop below half time.

For more information including current interest rates, please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide.

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans

The Direct Parent PLUS Loan is a loan option for parents with dependent students to help pay for their educational costs. Parents can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student is receiving. Interest begins accruing after the first disbursement. Parents are not required to start making payments on this loan until sixty (60) days after the loan is fully disbursed. Parents may also defer payment if the student is enrolled at least half-time, or during the six (6) month period after the student has graduated or ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.

For more information please see our Undergraduate Loan Guide, or our short video explaining the difference between PLUS and private loans.

University Loans

University loans are awarded to undergraduate students, based on financial need. University loans have fixed interest rates, currently set at 5%. Interest begins to accrue on university loans 6-9 months after graduation (depending on loan type) or 6-9 months after the student drops below half time enrollment.

If awarded a university loan, additional information regarding loans terms is provided as part of the students Financial Aid Notification.

California DREAM ACT Loan Program

The California DREAM Loan Program allows for UC and CSU campuses to administer non-federal loans to undocumented students who meet the DREAM Act Application requirements.

Students who demonstrate financial need can borrow up to $4000 through the Dream Loan Program.

Interest rates will be fixed at the same rates as Federal Direct Loans, with no loan fees. You must submit your DREAM application by the March 2nd deadline to be eligible for a DREAM loan.

Private Loans

Choosing how to finance your education is one of the most important decisions you will make - and the impact of that decision will follow you well beyond graduation. Once you have exhausted your eligibility for Federal, State, and University financial aid and loans, you may need to consider applying for a private educational loan, also called an alternative loan. These loans are not federal student loans. They are offered by private lenders and are used to supplement other types of financial aid. The interest rates and repayment terms on these loans may vary.

Students may refer to the UC Preferred Lender List which includes lenders that have been extensively evaluated by the University of California Office of the President and found to provide competitive rates and loan terms to students.

To find out more information regarding the terms and the application process for private loans go to our Undergraduate loan guide.You can also review our short video , for a quick comparison of the two different types of loan.

UC Code of Conduct for Preferred Lender Arrangements

Corbett Disclosure Statement

Students considering student loans need to be aware of the differences between federal student loans and private student loans:

  • Federal student loans are required by law to provide a range of flexible repayment options including, but not limited to, income-based and income-contingent repayment plans, as well as loan forgiveness benefits that private lenders are not required to provide.
  • Federal direct loans are available to most students regardless of income. Other qualification criteria do apply. For more information, please visit (
  • Private student loan lenders can offer variable interest rates that can increase or decrease over time, depending on market conditions.
  • The interest rate on a private loan may depend on the borrower's and/or co-signer's credit rating.
  • Private student loans have a range of interest rates and fees and students should determine the interest rate of, and any fees associated with, the private student loan included in their financial aid award package before accepting the loan. Students should contact the lender of the private student loan or their UC campus' financial aid office if they have any questions about a private student loan.

Some UC campuses offer students their own private (institutional) student loans. Students offered a UC institutional private student loan should know that:

  • Interest rates on UC loans will be fixed, not variable.
  • UC loans can have a range of interest rates.
  • UC loans are not awarded based on the credit history of the borrower.