Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships


You can request an increase to your financial aid budget and receive financial aid to cover the allowable expenses outlined below. To do so, you can submit a Budget Increase Request and/or a Housing Adjustment Form. Please see the instructions below to find out the allowable expenses and documentation you will be required to submit. Expenses must be incurred by and for the student during the period in which they are enrolled.

Budget Increase Request Form

Increasing Cost of Attendance to offset private scholarship/s, departmental aid, or resolve over-awards.

If you request a budget increase so your department or an outside donor can provide additional funding without creating an over-award to your existing aid, you can indicate this on your online form. Financial Aid and Scholarships will not offer you additional assistance in that case.The increase will only be used to increase your Cost of Attendance to allow aid from other sources to be posted to your account and prevent a financial aid over-award

Please upload acceptable forms of verifying documentation for each category mentioned below. Itemize all expenses and circle items on supporting documentation/receipts before uploading.

Allowable Expenses

Travel Expenses

Intended to help cover the cost of travel for family visits such as holidays or family emergencies. We can consider up to four roundtrip travel expenses, such as airfare, bus, train, and car rental.

  • Airfare and economy seating should be purchased in advance.
  • Rideshare to and from campus are not included.

Expected Aid: You will be offered additional loans to cover allowable travel expenses.


Receipts must be provided showing your name, price paid, and travel date. (Purchase and travel must be within your enrollment period)

Child Care

Parenting students are eligible to add the out-of-pocket cost for childcare expenses. Expenses may be split between a two-parent household. Private school tuition is not covered.

Expected Aid: If federal student loans are maximized, a small grant may be awarded based on eligibility.


Submit a personalized contract or a letter from your childcare provider describing the services offered and their costs. Also, please provide proof of payment (such as cleared checks, money orders or copies of receipts) for at least two consecutive months.

Medical /Dental

Expenses incurred and paid out of pocket (not covered by insurance) for the student during the enrollment period will be considered.

Estimates of procedures will not be accepted. Additionally, cosmetic surgery or procedures such as braces will not be covered. *Some procedures may require an explanation from a physician indicating that the procedure is required.

Expected Aid: You will be offered additional loans to cover allowable out of pocket medical expenses.


Multiple transactions require an itemized statement by date and amount paid. Proof of payment, such as copies of receipts, credit card statements, or cleared bank checks, are required (front and back copy).

Special Projects

Including: Licenses and Certificates

Expenses incurred for special projects must be part of your required coursework. Our office will ensure that no duplication of standard budget components exists at the time of review and may follow up for receipts to verify expenses incurred before awarding additional aid eligibility.

Expected Aid: We will offer loans to assist with your special program unless you or your department specify you will receive departmental or outside agency funding.

Licenses and Certificates:

Request allowance for one-time direct costs associated with obtaining their first professional license or certificate, provided they are enrolled in a program that requires such licensure or certification. This allowance is only available twice per eligible academic program per student. Allowable costs include fees associated with licensing exams and the costs of applying for and obtaining the license or certification. The cost must be incurred during the period of enrollment, even if the exam or certification is obtained after the period has ended. While costs for multiple licenses or credential test attempts may be included, they are limited to a maximum of two repeats.


Submit an itemized budget, signed by a professor /advisor on department letterhead, that lists individual expenses and verifies that those expenses are reasonable and necessary AND not paid for directly by your department.

Computer Purchase

This expense will be allowed only once during a student's enrollment per degree at UCLA. Computer and computer-related expenses include one computer (desktop, laptop, or tablet), insurance, and basic software such as Microsoft Office. A maximum of $2000 can be considered.

Bruin Tech Grant Eligibility: As of March 1, 2024
NOTE: Grant Funding has been exhausted, except for students with a Bruin Success Scholarship.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Undergraduate, Bruin Success Scholarship Recipient
  • On-time FAFSA/DREAM application (submitted by March 2, 2023)
  • Computer increases have not been approved in the past academic years.
  • The maximum award is $2000, of which $1500 will be covered by Tech Grant if you meet the criteria above. The remaining amount will be covered by a loan.

If you are not eligible for the Tech Grant, we will offer a loan to assist with your total purchase amount up to $2000.


Submit a copy of a receipt verifying proof of purchase for the computer. The receipt must be in students' names, or credit cards may be used to verify purchases. If purchased by a parent, you will need to provide a statement from the parent indicating aid will be used to reimburse them for the cost of the computer.

Rent Expenses, or change to Housing Status

If your actual rent/mortgage expenses exceed our monthly standard below, we can increase your attendance cost by the difference over your academic year enrollment period.

  • UG- On-Campus monthly standard $1,802
  • UG- Off-Campus monthly standard $1,223
  • Graduate monthly standard $1516

*This is a separate process. Please submit our Housing Adjustment form to increase your cost of attendance or make changes to your housing status for the academic year.


Please refer to the form for detailed instructions.

Submission Due Date

Please submit your request two weeks before the end of your enrollment period for processing.