Skip to Main Content
Financial Aid and Scholarships

I am expecting to receive outside scholarships. How will these affect my financial aid?

Because your award meets 100% of your cost of attendance, the receipt of aid from outside sources will require an adjustment to your financial aid package. In order for these awards to help a student as much as possible, it is our policy to replace student’s need based loans and work-study first. If the amount of outside aid exceeds the amount of loan and work in your award, grants are then reduced.

How do I report outside assistance?

When you receive your financial aid notification, you will be asked to report the source and the amount of your outside awards. You can also send us a communication through our message center on our contact page, to let us know how much you are receiving in outside support and the source of those awards. Once your award is revised, we will generate a new financial aid notification (FAN) and make it available for your review on MyUCLA.

Will my financial aid package cover my non-resident fees?

If the Registrar classifies you as an out of state student, we will offer assistance to cover your out of state tuition. This support will include Federal Parent PLUS and/or Private Loans. Please be advised that University Grants and Scholarships will not cover your non-resident fees.

If I am a non-resident student, can I appeal to be assessed California resident tuition?

You must be a California resident to be assessed in-state tuition. At UCLA, the Registrar’s Office determines students’ residence status. More information on residency and residency requirements can be found on the Registrar's website .

My family’s financial circumstances have changed since we applied for aid. Can UCLA take these changes into consideration?

If your or your parent(s) financial situation changed after you applied for Financial Aid, or if it changes at any time during the academic year, you can submit a Projected Year Income Petition to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office. The Projected Year Income Petition can be found on the Forms section of the Financial Aid Website.

If I am receiving financial aid, will my housing be covered automatically?

Your financial aid offer will include assistance for housing. However, financial aid disbursements released at the start of each quarter will not pay for your UCLA housing automatically. You will need to wait until you receive your financial aid refund to pay for your housing. UCLA Housing Services has a payment plan designed for financial aid recipients that will allow you to defer making your housing payments until financial aid refunds are released. For information about installment plans visit the UCLA Housing website.

If I am receiving financial aid, do I need to pay tuition when I receive my bill?

If your financial aid disbursements are enough to cover the full cost of your tuition and fees, you will not need to make a payment. Financial aid will be disbursed before the start date of each quarter and fee payment deadlines are extended for financial aid recipients. You can find additional information under Disbursements/Bills/Refunds

Does UCLA have an installment payment plan for tuition and housing?

UCLA Bruin Pay Plan (BPP) allows you to pay your tuition in 3 monthly payments throughout each quarter. This is a great option for students who are not receiving full financial aid to cover their fees. If you are eligible for BPP, information will be presented to you on MyUCLA. You can find more information on the payment plan on your BruinBill.

For information about installment plans, visit the UCLA Housing Website.